My latest read was by the masterful Edith Wharton. Her prose is so brilliant and plot so delectable that I have found it difficult to turn off my kindle app - even when it is late at night and I really should be sleeping. This work was equally brilliant. Ethan Frome may be one of her best known works, so I felt excited to engage with the text.
The story opens to a narrator interested in the life of an unusual man named Ethan Frome. At the end of the first section, the reader is transported back in time to allow Frome's story to unwind. The story centers around desire and reality. Ethan finds himself trapped in a loveless marriage, while having to live every day with the woman of his dreams serving in his home. It is a short tale and a quick read, but I could not help being sucked into his seemingly unavoidable fate and was delighted then shocked by the surprising ending. Wharton's characters and plot are crafted so well that this will no doubt not be the last work I read by this great American author. Good book - made me sooooo happy to have a great marriage to a wonderful man! Poor Ethan Frome!
No comments:
Post a Comment