Last week we lost a wonderful woman. We laid our dear Aunt Margie to rest. Aunt Margie was 89 years old when she went to be with the Lord. After a brave battle with lung cancer, we had a beautiful ceremony to celebrate her life. While this post could go on about singing with my brother at the service or the kind words my Dad shared before those she loved, I chose instead to focus on what is most important - her life. She was a wonderfully loving person and any who read this should know that.
First, to know Aunt Margie means you know about her amazing love for children, animals, people, and nature. When Aunt Margie was sick and fighting in her final days, I took the time to look through some of the photos I have from the last two years. I was brought to tears to see that in almost every picture I have, she is focused on others - smiling at Sadie, interested in her sisters, watching my growing pregnant belly (at the time). I love this picture of Aunt Margie touching my tummy when I was late in my pregnancy with Sadie. She is grinning at the feel of Sadie kicking from within - delighted with every movement, knowing it meant a new life was about to be here. Aunt Margie loved children, any children. She could never get pregnant and therefore chose to adopt. She was a great mother - loving and full of emotion. She was proud of any accomplishment and abundantly creative. She could make any plant grow and calm any nervous animal. However, her absolute favorite thing late in life seemed to be children - especially Sadie as she is the first grandchild to arrive.
When Sadie was born, Granny and Aunt Margie quickly came to the hospital to see the newest little family member. She was instantly smitten. She held our perfectly new Sadie with her sweet arthritic hands and Aunt Margie curled Sadie close to her heart. She was instantly in love and so satisfied to greet her.As Sadie started to grow, so did Aunt Margie's love for her. She would read to her, sing songs, listen to her babble, and bring her little toys. One of the three favorite toys Aunt Margie gave Sadie were 1) a little pink bunny that sings, "Jesus Loves Me" 2) a little pink Madame Alexander dolly that opens and shuts her eyes 3) a custom made beautiful doll with read curly hair. What was so cute about that singing bunny was that Aunt Margie brought that to Sadie when it was Aunt Margie's 88th birthday! So thoughtful of her. That was such a fun night to celebrate life with her that night.
Another memory that will always be a part of Sadie's early years were her many visits to Aunt Margie's house. She loved coming to see Aunt Margie. She would always have something to show Sadie, whether it was how to stack red shiny cups, put her baby doll to bed, or simply sing a new sweet song. Aunt Margie's transparency and emotion registered with Sadie and she was naturally drawn to her.
Besides visits to Aunt Margie's house, I will always remember Aunt Margie as being present. She was present for every play, major concert, birthday party, and holiday dinner. Aunt Margie was a fixture at our house for Thanksgivings and Christmases and having her there always made our home feel like it was complete. What a pleasure to have so many hours sitting around together, enjoying her company and sweet spirit.
I love that my mom took so many pictures. Hilariously enough, the picture of Aunt Margie with Granny and Aunt Doreen cracks me up. It is by far the most beautiful picture we have of Aunt Margie. She is stunning in this photo. We actually ended up using this picture for her memorial service. The funny little fact about this photo, however, is Aunt Margie's arm. If you look closely at her left arm, you will see about 5 stickers stuck to her that Sadie put on herself. She still had them on through all those pictures and even when she went home that evening.
Another one of my favorite pictures is of Aunt Margie on Christmas. I had given her some tiny green cloisonne earrings that Susan made for her. She was thrilled with them and as she went to put them on my mom snapped a picture of her. Her smile is what I love about this photo. It isn't forced or unnatural. It shows that sweet joy radiating from her on a day she always enjoyed with family - Christmas.
It's hard to write this post and think it is the last post I will have with information about Aunt Margie. I am crestfallen that Sadie will not really remember her, when Aunt Margie loved her so very dearly. I am saddened that Aunt Margie wasn't around to meet our next little baby when the time comes, sad that she will never receive sweet hugs, gifts, and the present of time to share with one another.
Aunt Margie was always thankful for the time we spend with her. Even as she was in the nursing home for just a few weeks with a blood infection only 4 or 5 months before her passing, Sadie made her a giant card and little plastic key ring. She loved it and showed every worker in the nursing home. She was so proud of it and had it in her purse. I was honored to place it in her casket, in her hands, in honor of Sadie. I know she won't have these vivid memories of Aunt Margie, but Sadie, I pray that as you read this you will know that you were loved by more people than you can even remember. Aunt Margie was always loving, always forgiving, always joyful, always emotional and although we know she is now made whole with her Heavenly Father, we will forever miss her when we gather together and remember what is most important in life - each other.
No comments:
Post a Comment