Friday, July 29, 2011

Parting is such sweet sorrow...

About a week and a half ago James, Sadie and I had an adventure to our local Half Price Book Store. I have have always enjoyed meandering down the aisles of this bookstore - especially on school days when I waited for James to come home and had a few hours to spend. However, this trip was like all the others. On this day, instead of welcoming new books, I said goodbye to many of my own.
Half of our garage has been used storing my "classroom." Knowing that I will at some point enter a classroom again, I have had a difficult time just tossing out old supplies, posters, special decor, and my student libraries. I always kept two full book cases of selections for students to check out directly from me. Most every school has a library, but I found that my students always enjoying thoughtfully looking through my selections and especially enjoyed the fact that I required no school fines if it was turned in late. I even gave several books away, over the years, to students who really connected with one work or another. So, admitting that I did not need ever single selection was a very difficult thing to do. Don't get me wrong - I kept all books I considered were "of literary merit" or were reads I would consider spending time to enjoy. I simply let go of all the "additional" selections and several hundred books that were a part of various class sets or doubles I acquired throughout the years. I would never need 102 copies of Jane Eyre, but they have overstayed their welcome - taking up much-needed space in our garage.

Thankfully, I had great support in James and Sadie. We dropped all book off (and shocked several onlookers with our 8 boxes) then headed to the children's section to play until they called our name. They could not buy back every book, so many of the duplicates and used books bought at the Houston Public Library would be sent off to various schools both domestic and abroad (Africa, in specific). So, although saying goodbye was hard, at least I know they are going to a better place! So, long dear books. You served your readers well.

No comments:

Post a Comment