Friday, December 23, 2011

It's Master Hamon Now!

We will henceforth remember the late fall and early winter of 2011 as the time tornado of craziness. After consuming countless Starbucks beverages, researching every Mexican American author I could find, and emailing my thesis director at least a trillion times, my thesis eventually was finished and I was left staring blanking into the beautiful face of graduation. Another reason to celebrate on this December 17th day was that I was cleared to start trying to pick Sadie up again, after a long four week absence of having her in my arms. I was elated. The ceremony was held at Reliant Arena and with the two ceremonies for UHCL, it was just long enough.

A long line of handshakes
While I sat and listened to a lovely commencement address, Sadie was doing her best to stay in the row as she was passed from Poppy to Daddy, to Granddaddy, to Su Su, and to Gammy. Aunt Katie and Uncle Austin sat behind her and made faces as she enjoyed being there together - although she obviously had no idea why we were all there. :)

Sadie snoozing on Granddaddy
After the ceremony I came out to find family and was greeted by a tiny well-rested toddler elated to see her Mommy after a brief separation. She gave me a high five and big hug which warmed my soul much more than any moment during the ceremony. After all, this was not just about me. This degree was a team effort. Sadie cooperating at MDO, Su Su having her extra play day so I could work, Gammy babysitting after a long day of teaching, Granddaddy helping edit and print copies of my work, Great stepping in to help as I recovered from my surgery - all acts of love that showed their support for my graduation and success. I am so grateful to have family who love and support me. Sadie, my hope is that as you are reading my words years from now, you will realize the importance and power of family.

High five, Mommy!
We couldn't walk away from the ceremony without a few ceremonial shots in the strange and wonderful graduation garb. Sadie was all smiles as she played around for the camera - saying cheese and being silly at every available opportunity.


LOVE this one. :)
Sadie! Look at the camera, not Su Su!!!




The best shot of the day. :)
They each earned their G.B.M. (Grandma Babysitting Master) degree.
TA DA!!!!

My mom couldn't help herself as we walked to the car. Tiny toddler holding mommy's hand and graduation tube in the other? Priceless. I imagine great things for you Sadie as I see this picture and cannot wait until I am holding your degree as we depart your commencement ceremony one day. :)
The best and tiniest helper
Diploma in hand...
My absolute favorite restaurant right now is Pho 21. Sadie and I frequent the establishment more than we see the inside walls of our own church and it seemed fitting to have our celebration dinner there. Well - that and we were in a major rush with people heading over for a party. :) I ordered my favorite chicken noodle soup, sharing with Sadie once she woke from her second nap of the day. As we waited for our food, I opened a few gifts. One of my favorite gifts was a little silver ball from Granny. It makes a tiny jingle bell sound when rung close to your ear. Right as we prepared to leave, Sadie awoke, making a second course entirely necessary. So, we ordered some more noodles and Jerry and Susan headed home to prep for the coming guests. By the time we arrived to her house, Dr. White and his wife were already there!

Granny showing us how to properly ring the "jingle ball"
Sadie's favorite dish

No comments:

Post a Comment