Friday, March 16, 2012

Galveston Girls' Weekend!

Sometimes you just need to get away. That is exactly what Mom had in mind when she decided we should hit the island for a girls' getaway weekend during spring break. I was thrilled! After a flurry of activity starting with a gall bladder removal and ending with a giant move to a new home, I was pooped! Mom found a great deal on a beautiful room at the historic Hotel Galvez right across from the seawall. I love this hotel; it feels like you stepped back in time - reminds me of a favorite movie growing up, Somewhere In Time. I could almost here the title track playing in my mind as we walked in the doors. After settling in, our first round of business was to retrieve coffee from our favorite island local coffee shop, Mod Coffee. Mom and I both love ordering the "Holly," named after the owner's wife. It has cinnamon, toffee nut syrup, and vanilla. Not a bad way to start our girly adventure.
At the beginning of the trip, I spied a beautiful green settee in the antique shop around the corner, La Masion De Rouge. Priced quite reasonably (even came down a bit after offering lower), I fell in love! It perfectly matched the paint samples I brought from home. This green looked tailor-made for our new bedroom!

Antiquing was probably our favorite thing of the weekend. this was the first trip I had been away from Sadie for more than a night, save my gall bladder removal, so Mom and I thought we should do all the things that may not be ideal on a normal trip with a toddler. We figured looking at antique wares would be right at the top of our list of things to do. We were given a map at one antique store of all the various locations you could shop on the island. We are talking about 20 shops! We narrowed down the list to about 13 that looked absolutely perfect and set out to try and see them all! So much fun! My other big purchase was a Lane cedar chest for Sadie's room. I always liked the idea of Sadie being able to have a "Hope Chest" or special place for her to store her most favorite items. This beautiful chest was practically given to me at about $50! I was thrilled the owner was just looking to make some space! Antique score!

Adding to the fun, we called my dear friend, Katie Leestma, and asked her to join us on Saturday. We tempted her with the invite to stay in our room and enjoy the shopping and hot tub later that evening. Mom, Katie, and I had so much fun running up and down the strand. Probably the funniest event from the weekend, however, was in the shop on the strand that sells the frozen margaritas. I was looking for a great straw fedora (my personal hat of choice) and Katie was about to head to the Bahamas with her family, so she thought to find a great hat to shade her lovely face while on the boat. We were cracking ourselves up trying on all the variations of hats, some meant for our face shape, some definitely mean for someone else. We decided to take a quick potty break before heading to our next spot and while my mom was waiting in line, she was watching us and laughing. A lady standing next to her, and about my mom's age, looked lovingly at us and said, "How cute! Just being teenage girls!" My mom couldn't contain her laughter. She gently explained, "Oh. Actually they are both 30 years old." The lady just blinked back surprised and giggled. Best compliment ever? We were seriously mistaken for teenage friends. LOVE IT. Perhaps we should have definitely bought those two hats. They apparently take decades off your face.

One of the cool places we found was a backyard garden behind a tiny antique shop. So beautiful. We were pleased to take a few pictures in front of all the foliage.

When I look at these pictures, it just warms my heart. I met Katie when we were in 7th grade. How is it that God is so good that He could bring us back into each other's lives. She has such an amazing personality, spirit, and love for the Lord, and my Mom and I loved every minute hanging out with this awesome woman.
OK, the Mod coffee got a little out of hand. We had it every day. Twice on Saturday. That's how you are supposed to drink coffee, right?
Our favorite spot to sit was outside under the gorgeous pergola  Vines growing all around, it makes me long for island coffee once I'm back in the F-wood.


Mom's favorite find was a beautiful screen to be placed in some room in the house to add style and flair. Painted with little delicate flowers, it was just Mom's style. She didn't buy it, but we faked her out and secretly called Dad and he ended up buying it for her and surprising her on Mother's Day! What an awesome memento from a great weekend!
We cracked up because when we were leaving, this is what Mom's car looked like. We figured once you have no more seating in your car, you have bought enough.
Upon returning home, we gave Sadie her presents from the weekend. I bought her a little collapsible water bottle like mine. She was very excited as you can see by her face. Please excuse the toilet in the background. Ha!
We also found an amazing little gift for the three of us. Katie, Mom and I each bought a pendant (OK, Mom and I bought earrings, then split them) made from real butterfly wings! They were so beautiful and such a cool way to commemorate a special weekend together. When I look at the wing, I am reminded of our close bond and the fact that I not only have a selfless and loving Mom, but friends who follow suit as well. I'm one blessed lady.

No comments:

Post a Comment