Sometimes it is just nice to have a Mommy / Sadie date together. We occasionally go to Freebirds or somewhere quick in the area, but on this particular day, we thought it would be fun to go to our favorite Mediterranean restaurant, Mediterraneo, located right off Nasa Rd 1 by NASA. The food is delicious and I love feeding Sadie hummus and pita bread instead of the standard Texas favorite, chips and salsa. The chicken ka-bobs are our favorite dish, as we split the large lunch order between the two of us, for just enough food to fill us up and leave us satisfied. There is also a cool natural market next door. The vegetables are a bit pricey, but they are perfectly organic and they have every herbal home remedy and soap you could imagine. I loved this day, however, because it reminds me of my quiet and private afternoons alone with Sadie. We finished lunch and then just walked up and down the sidewalk, in front of the storefronts, enjoying being together and being outside. Sadie found a giant white chair to climb into and laughed as she tried on Mommy's favorite straw fedora. I love the picture of her smiling right at the camera, but my favorite is probably where she pulled the hat down around her face. She is the picture of toddler happiness and I am so grateful for my quiet moments and lunches with her. When I decided to stay at home, it was a very difficult decision as I loved my job and students immensely, but these quiet afternoons together remind me of all the reasons I chose to put full-time teaching on hold. I know you can be a fantastic mother working - I have friends who are the product of their fantastic mothers. However, for our family, our choice for me to stay at home was just that - a choice for our family and seeing her happy little face looking back at our special afternoons together makes me so happy I have had so many with her while she is little. How extraordinarily special are these mommy / daughter dates when you are little and continue to be important even when you grow up. I hope for many more lunch dates together - lunches where I can look across the table at my beautiful and brilliant daughter smiling with all the hope in the world glimmering in her eyes.
No comments:
Post a Comment