I adore these two pictures of Sadie and I before church on Mother's Day 2012. They are some of my favorite. She had just woken up and was still a little sleepy when we took them. She just melted right into me with her cheek resting on mine. So sweet. I love being a mom. I really do. Mother's Day is a happy day for me because I have a daughter I love and a mother who loves me. I know and am very aware that this is a luxury - a blessing I try to remember to remain permanently thankful.
After pictures Granddaddy, Gammy, and Great joined us later (after Sadie's nap) for some fun. Sadie colored a picture for Mimi and we exchanged presents. Sadie and I gave Great a silver bow necklace and gave Gammy a photo bracelet with pictures of us together. Sadie was very thoughtful (as was dear Mia) to buy me some little black translucent stained glass earrings I had starred on Etsy.
One of the biggest surprises was from Granddaddy. Gammy saw a beautiful antique divider on our girls' weekend trip to Galveston. I told him about it so he called and purchased it around March to save for Mother's Day. Gammy was shocked and very excited by the beautiful gift and Sadie enjoyed hiding behind it and playing peek-a-boo!
Gammy also gave Great a "Granny" picture frame to put pictures in of all her kiddos. So cute and personalized just for her!
After presents, we headed to Mimi and Paw Paw's to visit with them for a bit. Sadie gave Mimi her card and handed the present to her form Granddaddy. Dad had also purchased some bright yellow flowers that she enjoyed.
She was in good spirits and having a pretty good day, considering her Alzheimer's can be rough at times. She always enjoys seeing Sadie and lights up when she dances around the singing sunflower to the tune of "You Are My Sunshine." Mimi always claps and Paw Paw will let her sing a thousand times until she's bored. Before leaving, Sadie gave Mimi a sweet kiss on the lips and we headed out.
A perfect ending to a great day. We had dinner at La Madeline's then headed to Barnes and Noble to share cake pops and lattes together.
We all three said "CHEEERS" to one another and then headed to legos and kid section for Sadie to enjoy all the play time while I quietly thought about how lucky I am. It wasn't a special or unusual day for me. We went to church. Saw my parents. Ate together, played together. Had lattes at Barnes and Noble. This is normal. How lucky am I? How many children live so far away from their moms that flowers and a call is the absolute best they can manage. How many children have broken relationships with parents? I don't even know if I realized it in that moment, but looking back, the fact that this day is our "normal" is pretty spectacular. I am so thankful to be alive and healthy and to know my daughter. I am so thankful God entrusted me with her and that I get to wake up every day and play with her. I am thankful that James works so hard so we can have this special time of sharing cake pops in the middle of the day together while the rest of the world is busy making a living or earning a paycheck. I am so blessed.
I read this on Pinterest and I thought it perfectly described the way I feel about Sadie:
I am your parent, you are my child.
I am your quiet place, you are my wild.
I am your calm face, you are my giggle.
I am your wait, you are my wiggle.
I am your dinner, and you are my chocolate cake.
I am your bedtime, you are my wide awake.
I am your lullaby, you are my peek-a-boo.
I am your goodnight kiss, you are my I love you.
I love you Sadie and am so happy to be your mother. Happy Mother's Day and may we spend countless more together, sweet girl.
No comments:
Post a Comment