Saturday, May 5, 2012

Mommy's 30th Birthday in the Park

For the "official celebration" with extended family and friends, we decided to take to the park for some outside fun. Being Memorial Day, we knew there would be lots of families there, but we still found a great spot nestled in the trees and the weather was perfect for the occasion. Warm with a nice breeze to cool everyone down from the heat earlier in the day. Cupcakes and cuteness abounded as toddlers and kiddos all ages made there way through the fun party food and favors Gammy brought for the occasion. The cupcakes were especially fun because we backed half of them in ice cream cones like Gammy did for me when I was a little girl! We all loved Paige's hilarious personality shining through the birthday glasses! Rachel also loved all things colorful and was found blowing up a bright yellow balloon with birthday hat in tow. Rylee was festive as well with her adorable pig tails.




When we first unveiled the cupcakes, Sadie was so funny. She found the candles and immediately went to work putting candles on the cupcakes. She knew that's obviously where they were meant to go, so why not help? :)
Thanks to Grace, my sweet cousin, and my fabulous Mom, we were able to get a million awesome shots from the party - from cupcakes to MiMi and Paw Paw, so many fun moments captured. We were really surprised MiMi and Paw Paw even made it since MiMi's health has declined in the last few years with Alzheimer's. What a nice surprise for them to come out and enjoy the celebration and see some more (great) grandkids from San Antone!

Austin and Katie were able to come too. Actually we planned the party a week later so I could make sure and have my little brother and lovely wife join our fun. It would just seem weird not having him there to celebrate!
One of the coolest surprises of the day were Katy Ernst's cupcakes. Katy outdid herself making amazing Starbucks caramel frappacino cupcakes! They actually had coffee in them! WOW! I pinned them on Pinterest and Katy thought it would make for a great birthday surprise. I had to fight people off just to retrieve a couple to take home for later. Soooo yummy. They even had the tiny little green Starbucks straws in them and if you aimed your straw just right you could suck up the lovely filling inside. Bravo, Katy.
Another cool gift was a fabulous wooden bowl from Lea Bodie, my dear Sunday school and bible study friend. She knew I had been looking for one, after admiring hers one night at dinner. It is gorgeous and it was such a thoughtful gift from a dear friend.
I wasn't the only one with friends visiting. Sadie was delighted that her friends showed up too. Little Emily Simmons came with her sweet mommy, Jennifer. Sadie and Emily enjoyed holding hands and playing on the playground with Daniel Gardner and the Genda girls. Another hilarious shot of the day was Sadie with all her Katie (y)'s. We joke that it took Sadie a while to figure out which Katy was which. But we think she finally has it! After all, that's a lot of Katies for Sadie: Katie Cox, Katie Leestma, and Katy Ernst. We also got a girls' shot of Sadie, Katy, Sara, and, of course, little Aubrey still in her Mommy's tummy, waiting to make her big debut sometime mid-August!



Lunch was hot dogs and fixings. Kind of hilarious since I don't really eat droves of hot dogs, but they always seem a huge hit with kids and adults at parties. And what adult can resist chili and cheese on a hot dog at a park on a perfect late spring day? As for Sadie, she was mainly interested in chips and cupcakes. Dinner of champions, I'm sure.

Even little Olivia Bodie was there with big sister, Madison. So cute and all dolled up for the party. They are great party friends and always make our festivities!


Su Su and Poppy came as well, but Su Su was a little late coming straight from UM Army! It was a miracle she could even stand up after all that work on her sore and tired feet! Her presence was worth its weight in gold, though, as Sadie was overjoyed to see her Su Su after a long week apart. We are just a little bit spoiled in our family seeing our grandparents not weekly, but sometimes daily (or every other dayish)!
Perhaps some of my favorite moments were watching the kids enjoy all the cupcake cones and have fun. Theodore Bodie loved chomping into his and Rachel watched over Sadie as she enjoyed her apple juice box.




Even little Collin Ernst had some undercover photo shoots going on. Such a cute little man now, and looking more grown up every day! How is he growing so fast!? Perhaps it is his father's effortless silliness that keeps him active and moving. LOVE the picture of festive Ross in birthday glasses. Also, enjoyed spending some time with our good friends, Laura and Isaac Ozinga. Laura's family, The Pearces, have been family friends since we moved to Clear Lake many moons ago.



Besides the plastic slides and arsenal of sugary sweets, Uncle Steve and a turtle turned out to be some of the best attractions of the day. His banjo was a hit with little ones as you can see Andrew Stiles (Lisa and Brad's youngest) checking it out. Then there was Rylee pointing out the turtle that Trey found and released party-side. You can guess the kids were overjoyed by its shelled presence, to say the very least.



As far as cupcake consumption goes, we were all fairly certain Sadie won the prize. I realize now I have pictures of her eating at least three different kinds of cupcakes. I don't know if it was just a bite of each, but I'm at least telling myself that to avoid the idea that my child consumed that much sugar in one given day. HA!


Ahhhhh, the family poses. Love Gammy for this. Because although people may sign and say, "Ahhh, Mom. Another picture?" As a mom, I have come to adore these shots. I mean, who else has a personal family photographer do all their photos for their personal family blog? So, keep up the good work Gammy, because these pictures will be awesome to look at as we grow (even) older.



Trey and Rylee had an adorable shot together and I love the picture of Austin and Rylee laughing by the wagon. So fun that you can look back and enjoy moments I did not even see that day. Even my picture with Katie Leestma cracks me up. We took it so you could notice our awesome earrings. Actually Katie had just finished a triatholon that morning AND been stung by a wasp right before arriving. She wins the "trooper" award for being the most dedicated to still showing up to a party! So glad she came too as she is always so much fun. Back to earrings - as an inside joke for our outwardly nightmare of a struggle with poison ivy, I bought earrings off of Etsy. They were tiny silver circles with three leaves in the middle. I told her to wear them and remember we have a bond now that NO ONE should EVER have to have with another human being. She laughed and we were both thankful it is over and gone and we can laugh about it now.



After a few more shots we returned home for yet more eating of cupcakes and playing of cousins. That's right, the Gendas stayed with us and it was so much fun! Jill and Grant came over as well and we stayed up late visiting and enjoying the benefits of having family so close now after years apart.





I am so grateful for 30 years of life. I know not everyone is blessed with that. I realize I am fortunate. I have a wonderful husband who is an outstanding father, loving parents, siblings and siblings-in-laws who care for each other and me. In-laws and extended family who make me feel like my family is part of their immediate family, friends who are so close to us we consider them family, and a church that has a heartbeat for authentic relationships with Christ. I am beyond blessed and cannot wait to see how God will use us and mold us in the next thirty years. I cannot even imagine what He is capable of doing. :) Here's to getting old, because it is a gift from God. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment