Sunday, March 13, 2011

Sadie's First Livestock Show

Sadie's first visit to the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo was an event to remember. Before we left the house we had to partake in our ritualistic photo shoot since Granny was in tow. Although I may complain about photos when we are in a rush, I am always overjoyed and thankful when I look through them. My mom has such an eye for capturing the special moments of our every day life. Of all the photos taken, the one of us together was my favorite by far. I don't know what it is about shots where the subjects look away from the lens, but they always seem to move me. Sadie's bow is atop her silky straight hair and you even get a glimpse of my favorite headband that was a Christmas gift from my sweet mother-in-law, Susan.
A Real Cowgirl
"Come on, Daddy! Let's rodeo!"
There is nothing cuter or more hilarious than seeing every day items in smaller versions. Take Sadie's cowgirl hat, for example. You shrink it down and it is automatically adorable. Sadie wasn't too fond of donning her hat for the entire night, but was a doll to even let us get a few pictures before she pulled it off her head. Here's hoping next year she will love it so much she will want to wear it the whole time! *fingers crossed*
A Genuine "Pig-Sitter"
The first animal Sadie met was a pink and brown spotted pig. Although shown by a young high school girl, the man who sold the school the pigs was there and very friendly. He picked her up and let her get inside the cage, brush the pig's hair,and even sit on the big pig belly! She loved it! Better than any "touch and feel" book, by far.
Mommy and Granddaddy
Granny
Sadie enjoyed being with Granny and Granddaddy. Their very first date - when my mom was 16, mind you - was to the Houston "Fatstock Show, so taking Sadie this year was very special for them. I wonder if they could have ever imagined then coming back with their little pink cowgirl granddaughter. We played "pass-around-the-Sadie" until she settled and we watched some amazing herding from some dogs. Sadie was overjoyed to wake up to the sight of beautiful dogs herding sheep. She yelled, "woo woo!" (woof woof!)
"I think these fit, Mommy!"
"I just looove these hobo bags, like Mommy."
It might be from watching Mommy, but Sadie seems to have a natural gift for shopping. She will pick out certain items, hold and study them intently, then look at me with delight as she saunters over to me and hands me her chosen prize. Ahhhhh, brings a tear to my eye.
"This ain't my first rodeo - wait, yes it is!"
Overall, the experience was as we imagined. Sadie loved the animals, pointing to the new sights, and even seeing the lights of the carnival. What a fun night. Cannot wait until next year when she is even older and can say, "pleeeeease Mommy. Can I have _______?"

No comments:

Post a Comment