Thursday, March 17, 2011

Forget you, Mr. Sun.

When I contemplate the implications of daylight savings time, I feel myself personifying the entire practice, then singing to this newly-created metaphor. Not sweet melodic lullabies - more like Cee Lo Green's "Forget You" (radio-edited version, of course).

I understand that there must be countless farmers that appreciate the merits of this time-honored practice. As an English teacher, all I really understand is that it involves farming, the sun, and produce perhaps? I even remember appreciating daylight savings when I was younger due to my relationship with the sun - being almost titillated by the change of the day. I enjoyed that the sun stayed out longer; it suggested that summer was near. As a teacher and student, I relished every ray we shared together. However, our relationship has grown apart. The sun and I had a bad altercation (I lost) spring of 2009. He left my chest and back freckled as a post bellum reminder of his power. I also stopped surfing once pregnant (apparently it is not ideal for a woman with child), and this only exacerbated the growing distance between us. Then the most dramatic change for us came as I entered the mid-section of my first trimester. Suddenly the thought of bathing in the hot sun on a sticky day did not entice an increasingly nauseous mommy-to-be. I even thought we might rekindle our mutual affection for the occasion of Sadie's first summer, but I was too obsessive compulsive about sunscreen on an infant's skin. It wasn't him; it was me.

After all that had passed between us, I admit that I recently have felt a growing excitement due to the recent return of warmth in general, but then daylight savings time happened. And as I played with an alarmingly awake Sadie after her evening nap from 10-11PM, I cursed the sun and daylight savings time and farmers and produce and any other family that was not affected by this seemingly crazy time ritual. I couldn't help it. I was angry that we have already struggled with getting Sadie's bedtime to an earlier hour only to then be thwarted by my old friend and foe, the sun.

So, here we sit. Estranged from one another. Perhaps Sadie's internal clock will readjust. Perhaps the beach will beckon making it ultimately impossible for me to stay away this summer. Perhaps my skin will itch not from overexposure, but with the desire to get outside to soak in some vitamin D. However, until then I choose not to be amused with you, Mr. Sun. "Forget you."


nota bene: I am in no way ignorant of the fact that the sun is not who created daylight savings, rather found it more amusing to ramble on in metaphor against an inanimate object. Just thought I might need a note added so I didn't have hundreds of FB friends trying to reconcile me and the sun due to a rambling of sorts.

No comments:

Post a Comment