![]() |
| Sadie "skunkin' it" with her shades. |
![]() |
| Sadie's best friend, Austin H. |
Spring is officially here. Let the outside play dates commence! Today Sadie enjoyed meeting her friend, Austin, at a park close to our house. Not only does she get to play with her friend, but I get to enjoy mine as well. Mary Beth and Russ have been our friends since before they were married and we cherish the friendship we have with them. We have made quite a habit of these impromptu Friday play dates. Sharing stories of our daily tasks, however menial, always reminds me that I'm not alone in this whole "stay at home" adventure.
Having outside play dates has helped me learn to relax a bit. As a teacher (and natural workaholic) who used to go full speed all day, I am now learning to breathe and take pride in some seemingly easy or small tasks that have always evaded me - like afternoons in the park, having all the laundry finished without doing 6 loads at once, and knowing what we are eating for dinner because I have meal-planned (not always, but I try) ahead of time. I'm by no means stress-free. I have my thesis constantly whispering in my ear - reminding me that it needs tending. Finishing my thesis will bring a new and welcomed sense of peace. Being free from grad work will also help me to start living the "peaceful" life everyone assumes I have as a stay-at-home mom. I was told yesterday at a Chinese dining establishment that I should try to "enjoy [my] vacation" before I have to go back to teaching one day. I would love to enjoy a vacation. Someone should have probably told this lovely man that staying home with a toddler is not analogous with a trip to Destin or Colorado Springs sans children.
In any case, I am thankful. Thankful for parks with turf and no rocks for Sadie to try and eat, thankful for friends who will listen, laugh, and not judge, and thankful that even when alone, Christ still knows me and loves me anyway. What a pleasant morning.
-Posted from my iPhone


No comments:
Post a Comment