Granny's birthdays are always hilarious. First of all, she makes sure to tell everyone, "Don't you dare get me anything I have to put somewhere! I have too many things in my house!" Then, she might even recant that and tell you, "I don't care anything about birthdays. Don't get me anything." Well, even with protest, we still enjoy celebrating your birthday, Granny (or "Great" as Sadie calls her). Granny's birthday is on April 21st. This year she turned 86. We decided to celebrated by joining family for a get-together at Uncle Steve and Aunt Leslie's beautiful new home nestled just minutes from our new house! How awesome is that? When we arrived (we were a little late due to the fact that I was still COVERED with poison ivy rash and had to carefully pick attire that wouldn't exacerbate the rash) we walked in to find Granddaddy playing guitar with Uncle Steve and Austin. Jam sessions are a pastime favorite at the Cox / Jeter parties and Sadie just jumps right into the mix.
If guitars and blues are staples, then so are lots of hugs for furry friends too. Steve and Leslie's dogs are named "Red" and "Jack." Jack is Leslie's little baby as seen evidenced by her snuggle session.
If you haven't been to a party decorated by Leslie, then you may have never witnessed this kind of creativity before. This woman is creatively BRILLIANT! Yes, I felt it necessary to use caps. BRILLIANT! She comes up with the cutest, decorations, crafts, paintings, hair bows - you name it and Leslie can envision it and or make it. I think some people just have a natural talent for this type of thing! anyway, Granny loves bunnies, so she incorporated that into her decor. Aside from little peanut M&Ms (that look like eggs), she rolled the orange napkins around green forks (to look like carrots), had tiny cupcakes and cookies, and other cute little bunny decor lying about. So special for Granny's celebration day.
Sadie especially liked the yellow wire bunny basket and carried it around for a good while before she became distracted with the giant doggy door.
We sang happy birthday and Granny blew out candles and we all clapped. Sadie especially liked the tiny chocolate cupcakes.
Aunt Doreen and Granny's best boon companion, (Oh Brother Where Art Thou reference, I couldn't help myself) Maxinne, came for the fun - as did Austin and Katie.
The presents were fun to watch her open. Useful items and jewelry are usually the top winners for Granny, but Granny seemed to enjoy a little photo album from Sadie that had a recorded message, "Happy Birthday Great! I love you!"
Marsha cracked Granny up putting some "play money" in her card and Steve and Leslie gave her a gorgeous toaster. Stainless steel and beautiful for her kitchen.
Since we all couldn't think of items incredibly useful (that she didn't already have), the family decided to all pitch in together to buy Granny an iPad. We have been harping on her (badgering her, really) to get internet. It's incredibly, useful on long boring days with Molly, Granny! The iPad gives her an option to plays games and look at photos and have internet access out and about or at my or my mom's house when she visits (which is abundantly (and wonderfully) awesome. She seemed delighted and couldn't wait to play Mexican Train and Solitaire.
Aunt Margie was also present and looking radiant in her blue. She has been in so much pain as of late with her cancer that we were delighted for her to have a good enough day to celebrate with her sister. I will remember that we were joking about Marsha or me or someone being sick or hurting (maybe Mom, even?) and Aunt Margie hilariously chimed in, "I'm just glad I've got no problems and don't have anything wrong with me!" She just laughed and laughed. Great sense of humor for a woman who has been struggling with so much pain lately.
As I mentioned earlier, Sadie found the dog door and loved it. Initially she did the whole family a favor by taking her potty break in the garage. HA! Afterwards, (and after we were all cleaned up), she joined us on the patio. Katie found a cushion she melted into as Uncle Steve played some banjo and I freaked out over every leaf in the yard, fearful that poison ivy might be lurking in and among the deciduous trees. There actually WAS a little crop in the back yard. Mom took a picture of it for us to have on record in the future. Take a close look and stay FAR FAR AWAY if you ever seen this plant outside!
AHHHHH! There it is...the infamous poison ivy. Gives me the itchies just looking at it!
Sadie loved playing with Leslie that day. She liked all her shoes on the wall in the kitchen and especially liked being outside and playing doggy with Aunt Leslie.
One of the best shots of the day was Granny with Aunt Margie. One of the best pictures I have seen on them together. What a beautiful life Granny has had thus far and we pray we are privileged enough to spend many more days together celebrating life and learning more about her. Happy birthday to a Granny who has been more amazing than 5 grandmas rolled into one. I love you and am so proud to be called your granddaughter. Thank you for always supporting me, attending every single football game during marching season, coming to every band concert, play, and party. I remember you always being there and that is the best gift a grandma can ever give a child. What a wonderful support you have been an a fine example of a strong woman who loves the Lord.
No comments:
Post a Comment