Sunday, April 1, 2012

Make New Friends but Keep the Old...

I was thinking about my dear friend, Katie Leestma, the other day and remembered a song from my childhood:

Make new friends,
But keep the old.
One is silver
And the other gold.

Maybe we sang it in Brownies as girls? Who knows, but wherever it's origin, I couldn't help but hum it after a wonderful night of bonding together. Katie and I first met when we were on a Vision Retreat weekend at University Baptist Church in junior high. This was before my dad accepted a position at UBC, before I met and then dated her oldest brother during high school, and before we both went to A&M. We have reconnected after she recently moved back from California and I have enjoyed every moment (and never plan on taking any time apart from our friendship again!). Her company is easy, conversation natural, and spirit beautiful.

On our first night hanging out, we invited Katie over for pizza and some tasty margaritas. Offering Sadie limemade (Granddaddy's favorite!) we laughed and visited about everything from dogs to babies, to life experiences. Sadie also absolutely adores spending time with her and was so riled up from playing that she woke up several times that night. Spend 5 minutes with this woman and you'll understand why she's so likable.

One of our later hangouts involved a girls' sleepover while Daddy was out of town! We played and laughed and baked cookies together and enjoyed spending time bonding. Sadie especially enjoyed the experience as she tried to eat all the chocolate chips out of our batter as Katie laughed with her teasing her all the while.


How blessed our family is to have such wonderful friends in our lives, old and new. I look forward to many more fun days ahead with Katie. So glad you're in Houston to play with us!

No comments:

Post a Comment